Wednesday 6 March 2013

Arvicola amphibius

First sight today of a water vole on the canal. We used to see them on the Cromford Canal when we were kids but they've since become as rare as turkey teeth. Now they're back.

I used the train yesterday to get to Leicester to see City play; Sue had the car. 15 minutes walk to the station, 25 minutes to Derby then across the platform to the Leicester train, another 20 minutes to Leicester, and a relaxed stroll to the King Power. Or that was the plan. Apparently the Derwent Valley line is never late, but yesterday it was, so I missed my connection, had to wait for the next Leicester train, which was also late. So I was six minutes late for the start of the match.  Ironically the only one of the three relevant trains that was on time was the one I missed.

We've been using the 'multi-fuel' stove in the evenings.  We've decided that coal is the best fuel to use.  Logs are good, but we get through a huge number in an evening, and we don't have a lot of room to store them.  Having said that I may have found a cheap source so we'll probably fill the limited storage space that we have and use those for a while. Coal burns slowly and gives out a lot of heat. Smokeless fuel doesn't give out much heat unless you pile it up in the grate and open all the vents for maximum air input to get it glowing.  So at the moment, all things considered, coal wins.

We're really well positioned for good food; there's an excellent artisan baker in Crich and an independent butcher who does a vast range of home-made sausages.  He also stocks local and regional cheese, for example a Cheshire-like Hartington cheese called Peakland White which we tried. We're looking forward to systematically working our way through them.


 I like this lock I found on a gate on the footpath up to Crich.  I wonder who was the last person to lock it and when that was.
 I found the crocuses on the same path, at the top of the 97 steps (Sue says there's 97; I keep losing count).

No comments:

Post a Comment