Friday 1 March 2013

Trams, History, a Present and More Shopping

One of the best walks from the house goes down through the quarry, then up to Crich Stand (we always used to call it Crich Memorial - I remember going there for a armistice parade when Dad was in the Sherwood Foresters - round here you have to call it Crich stand). The walk takes you round the back of the tramway museum, and across the tracks, so apparently you have to keep an eye out, but since the museum hasn't been open since we got here the chances of being squashed by a tram are minimal; I haven't actually seen one yet, even in the distance.

You can go up the tower for an excellent value 20p, but we're saving that for a clear day. The view from the bottom is stunning so I can only imagine it's exceptional from the top.  Allegedly you can see as far as Lincoln Cathedral.

I've learnt a bit about the Sherwood Foresters - the regiment was formed in 1881 when the Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiments combined. 11,000 fell in the Great War and the current monument was opened in 1923, primarily as a memorial to them.  230 were killed and wounded in a single action in the Easter Rebellion, when volunteers who had joined up 3 months before to fight the Kaiser found themselves, half-trained and poorly armed, marching through Dublin when they were attacked by a well armed and much smaller force led by De Valera.


Sue had a house-warming present from Neil; it was addressed to me but must have been intended for Sue because I am, of course, already fluent.


Guess where we ended the day - Ikea. I'm losing track but I think that's four visits since we got here.

(By the way, Donna never made it - soon she will, I'm sure).

No comments:

Post a Comment